Prep Time = 20 minutes | Cook Time = 20 Minutes | Total Time = 40 minutes
My mom was a Home Economics teacher and she used to make these for holiday parties and game day celebrations. The combination of sharp cheddar cheese and the bite from the hot sausage are an excellent flavor combination. If you are not a fan of hot sausage, the mild or medium sausage will work just as well. This recipe comes from Favorite Recipes of Alabama Vocational Home Economics Students. (Bicentennial Edition 1973-1976)
MISE EN PLACE
1 lb. hot sausage (Substitute mild or medium if desired.)
1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 teaspoon red pepper
1 box biscuit mix (I recommend Bisquick®.)
3-4 tablespoons water
1. Fry sausage in skillet, stirring until crumbly and browned. Drain excess grease and place in a bowl.
2. Combine sausage, cheese, pepper and biscuit mix.
3. Add water and mix well
4. Form into bite sized balls.
5. Place on a cookie sheet.
6. Bake at 375° about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
7. Serve hot or cold. Add your favorite dipping sauce if desired.
The recipe can be prepared ahead of time and frozen until you are ready to bake.
Yield = 75 balls | Shelf Life = N/A